Holiday Lighting Safety Precautions
The holiday season is such a magical time, and with the season also comes added risk. Holiday lighting is subject to be a real fire risk if not used with precaution. Let's be sure we deck the halls safely!
- Always check each set of lights for worn, broken or cracked, cords/sockets. Also check for any loose bulbs and replace any damaged lights.
- Be sure the lights you are using are rated for indoor use and tested for safety. Check for the label of an independent testing lab like Underwriters' Laboratory (UL)
- Never put lights on a metallic Christmas tree in order to avoid the risk of electric shock.
- Turn off all Christmas lights and decorations when going to bed or leaving home.
- Make sure your electric cords and tree lights are protected to keep pets safe from chewing them.
- Be sure the outdoor lights are rated for exterior use by an independent testing lab as mentioned prior.
- Always secure the lights to trees, houses, walls, or other firm support to protect from wind damage.(However please do not attach with nails or staples as they can easily cut through the protective wire insulation and start a fire.)
- Take exterior lights down within 90 days to prevent weather damage hazards or little critters chewing the wires.
- Ensure you store the lights safely after taking them down. When lights get tangled it can lead to damaged cords and broken sockets(and they're a pain to untangle!) You can wrap the strings around an appropriate sized cardboard piece, cover them in paper or fabric, and carefully place them in a sturdy container until your next use.
- NEVER use real candles to decorate a tree. Battery-operated/flameless/LED candles are recommended instead.
- If using real candles for decorating, please follow these candle fire safety guidelines:
- Keep candles away from any flammable objects like decorations or drapes.
- NEVER burn candles near trees or greenery.
- Always keep burning candles within sight.
- Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.
- Only use non-flammable candle holders.
- Extinguish ALL candles before going to bed, leaving the room, or leaving your home.
Contact SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque
At SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque, we are wishing you and yours a wonderfully safe holiday! Should you need us, we are here to help mitigate property damage 24/7.
Call us at, 505-503-8627