Are you taking precautions with your holiday lighting?
The holiday season is such an exciting and magical time of year. This time of year also comes with additional risks such as holiday lighting. Lighting is subject to be a fire risk that can quickly take a home if precautions are not taken. Whether it be Christmas trees, outdoor lights, or candles there is some precautions that can help lessen the risks of a fire starting.
When it comes to precautions for Christmas trees you should always check each set of lights for wear and tear, such as broken or cracked lights and inspect the cords and sockets for damages. Be sure that the lights you are using are tested for safety and rated for indoor use. Never put lights on a metallic Christmas tree to avoid the risk of electric shock. Turn off all Christmas lights and decorations when going to bed or leaving home. And finally make sure that your electrical cords and tree lights are protected to keep pets from chewing on them.
When handling outdoor lighting be sure that all outdoor lights are rated for exterior use. Always secure the lights to trees, houses, walls, or another source that is firmly supported to protect from wind damage. It is important to remember not to attach with nails or staples as they can easily cut through the protective wire insulation and start a fire. Take exterior lights down within 90 days to prevent weather damage hazards or critters chewing through wires. Did you know that when lights get tangled together it causes damage to the cords and the sockets? There is a way to take down your exterior lights to store them properly. To prevent your lights from getting tangled you can wrap them around an appropriately sized piece of cardboard, cover them in fabric or plastic, and carefully place them in a sturdy container until you are ready to use them again.
Finally let’s talk about candles. When you decorate your tree, you should never place real candles in your tree, you should always use battery operated/flameless/LED candles. If you do use real candles for decorating other areas you should always follow safety guidelines such as: keeping candles away from any flammable object like decorations or drapes, never burn candles near trees or greenery, always keep burning candles within sight, place candles where they can not be knocked or blown over, only use non-flammable candle holders, and extinguish ALL candles before going to bed, leaving a room, or leaving your home.
Even with precautions there is always a chance of a fire starting so please keep in mind that SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year to help make it “Like it never even happened.” If you are in a situation where mitigation, remediation, or reconstruction is needed please contact us at (505) 503-8627. SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque would like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season from our family to yours.